Some essential oils have natural deodorising abilities.
They can help to mask odours around our home or even on our person and leave us and our space smelling fresh and sweet. Two of our favourites are geranium and myrtle, combined in this recipe for a scent that beautifully balances floral and herbal notes. This simple and affordable deodorant uses all-natural ingredients and prevents personal odour without the help of any added chemicals.
- 120ml milk of magnesia
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- 15 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Myrtle Essential Oil
You will also need
- A spray bottle
- A measuring jug
Why milk of magnesia?
Milk of magnesia makes for a great natural base for our deodorant. Made of magnesium hydroxide suspended in water, it has strong antimicrobial properties. This is due to the presence of magnesium, which inhibits bacteria from growing under the arms and consequently prevents unpleasant body odour.
Why grapeseed oil?
It’s always best to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil when applying topically, even when there are other ingredients involved. Since milk of magnesia is water based, the oils won’t fully mix with it, and so we still need something else to ‘carry’ them to the skin. Grapeseed oil has a neutral smell that won’t interfere with the deodorant’s scent and it also absorbs easily through the skin, allowing the scent to be released through perspiration.
Why geranium essential oil?
Geranium’s floral scent is great for masking unpleasant odours. A natural circulatory oil, it absorbs easily through the skin and into the bloodstream. From here, the flowery scent can be slowly released through perspiration over a period of time.
Why myrtle essential oil?
The strong antifungal properties of myrtle essential oil can attack the source of the odour and inhibit its growth. Myrtle is also a fragrant oil with aromatic, odour-dispelling properties.
- In a measuring jug, combine the grapeseed oil with the essential oils and mix well.
- Add the milk of magnesia and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and secure the lid. Shake a few times to allow the mixture to settle.
How to use
- Wash under the arms and pat dry.
- Spray twice under each arm.
- Allow 30 seconds to dry before getting dressed.
- Repeat throughout the day as needed.
Shop our essential oil range here.