If you are not a fan of chemical-based products and have wondered how to make essential oil room spray for your home, this is the perfect article for you.
Essential oils can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, and that includes a homemade spray, so if you love nothing more than a good spritz to freshen things up, it won’t take too much time or effort to make your own.
Here we explain how to make room spray using essential oils and fragrance oils, whilst also discussing the benefits of making a homemade spray and what you can do to help it last a little longer.
What is a homemade room spray?
A homemade room spray is an alternative to commercial products sold in stores using natural ingredients. Many fragranced air fresheners, cleaning supplies and personal care products are a primary source of indoor air pollutants, which in some cases can cause problematic health issues. A homemade room spray also allows you to add a fragrance of your choice to your home, making it feel even more welcoming and inviting.
What are the benefits of a homemade room spray?
Whilst it is easier to buy a room spray online or pop down to your nearest superstore, there are a lot of benefits to making your own spray at home:
- Natural and non-toxic: Even though commercial products list their ingredients, understanding what they all are is a different thing. With a DIY room spray made at home you know exactly what goes into it so there are no concerns about filling your home with toxic ingredients and chemicals that may cause irritation.
- Eco-friendly option: If you are green-minded and prefer to be as eco-friendly as possible, then making your own spray makes a lot of sense. There are no aerosols involved in the process (which are very damaging to the ozone layer) so you can spray to your heart’s content without any worries.
- Make your own scent: The possibilities are almost endless when it comes to making your own spray. There are any number of essential oil and fragrance oil combinations you can try, helping to give your home a wonderfully natural and unique scent.
- Enjoy the aromatherapy benefits: If you are using essential oils in your spray, you can also benefit from the many health benefits they can provide (fragrance oils are man-made scents). They are packed with vitamins and nutrients that can help to create a calm and soothing atmosphere or even provide a quick energy boost if needed.
How to make a room spray with essential oils
There are lots of different essential oils you can use in a homemade room spray. Here we explain how to make the spray and leave it up to you to decide the kind of scent you’d prefer around the home.
Before you get started check that you have the following:
- Glass spray bottle
- Distilled water
- Witch hazel
- Essential oil(s) of choice (a nice one to start out with is lavender oil)
Steps on how to make homemade room spray
- Fill a glass spray bottle about ¾ full of distilled water.
- Use the witch hazel to fill the rest of the bottle.
- Add 20-40 drops of your preferred essential oil(s).
- Replace the top of the bottle and shake well.
Remember to give the bottle a good shake every time you use it as this ensures the ingredients have not settled and are well mixed to produce the best results.
How to make a room spray with fragrance oils
Not everyone likes to use essential oils for their DIY room spray. The good news is that fragrance oils are just as effective, and the recipe is just as easy to make.
As before, check that you have:
- Glass spray bottle
- Distilled water
- Witch hazel
- Fragrance oil(s) of choice (a nice fragrance to start with is fresh linen floral fragrance oil)
Steps on how to make room spray with fragrance oils
- Using the distilled water, fill the glass spray bottle ¾ of the way.
- Add enough witch hazel to fill the rest of the bottle.
- Blend 20-40 drops of your preferred fragrance oil(s).
- Replace the bottle’s lid and shake well.
As with the essential oil recipe, remember to give the bottle a good shake before use to ensure the oils are fully blended with the water and witch hazel.
How do I make room spray last longer?
Once you have crafted your homemade room spray there are few useful things you can do to help it last as long as possible.
Generally, most blends will last for a couple of months, so if you are not intending to use it regularly, it is perhaps better to create the mixture in a smaller bottle.
Then try the following when you are ready:
- Sterilise the bottle using boiling water or isopropyl alcohol before making the spray.
- If you are combining multiple essential oils, combine a blend of top, middle and base notes as this will help the scent to linger for longer.
- When not in use, store the bottle in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight and indoor heat sources.
Also check the dates on the essential oils before you use them, as using nearly expired – or expired – essential oils may cause irritation and other allergic reactions.
Homemade room sprays are easy to make and give you a wonderful way to freshen up any room in your home in an instant. You only need a few simple ingredients and because there are so many fragrance options to choose from, there is always a new scent for you to enjoy. As always with essential oils, be mindful when using the spray around children and pets and if you are using an oil for the first time, carry out a patch test to check for potential allergies.