These uplifting, positive essential oils can provide a burst of happiness in times where your mood takes a dip.
We all have a least favourite time of year. No matter what else is going on, some months our mood will just be lower than others, and for many of us this happens when the weather turns colder and the skies get greyer.
Creating a little joy can be tricky, but engaging the olfactory system in the right way is definitely a good place to start.
There are quite a few essential oils that have been found to lift low spirits and promote happiness even in darker times.
Some of these oils have even been found to have significant positive effects on symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Mental health is far from simple, and different things will work for different people, however there’s a good chance that diffusing the right oil in your home could leave you feeling a little brighter.
Here are some of our favourite essential oils for promoting happiness and positivity, no matter the season.
What citrus essential oils are mood boosting?
- Bergamot oil: Citrus oils are generally considered joyful and uplifting, and leading the pack is punchy bergamot essential oil. A study in 2011 found that bergamot had a positive effect on a number of physiological symptoms experienced by patients with depression, including their blood pressure, pulse rates, and breathing rates. It also positively impacted a number of emotional markers and left them feeling uplifted. Learn more about the benefits of bergamot oil.
- Sweet orange oil: Generally considered a cheerful, positive oil, sweet orange is a popular source of good feelings. A 2013 study found that diffusing orange essential oil helped to reduce stress hormone rates in children undergoing a dental procedure, keeping their nerves at bay. An animal study in 2019 suggested that it could also have significant antidepressant effects. Learn more about the benefits of orange essential oil.
- Mandarin: The gentlest of the citrus oils, mandarin essential oil has a sweet, uplifting scent that many have found to increase happy emotions. A study in 2008 also found that mandarin can be used to prevent anxiety-related sleep loss and promote healthy sleeping patterns, leaving us well-rested and in a positive frame of mind. Learn more about the benefits of mandarin essential oil.
- Lemon tea tree oil: With a citrus aroma but not technically a citrus oil, bright and sunny lemon tea tree essential oil brings with it a burst of positive energy. Its cleansing, aromatic properties help it to not only mask unpleasant odours, but to dispel negative energy, resetting our emotions and leaving us clear-headed and uplifted. Learn more about the benefits of lemon tea tree essential oil.
What floral essential oils are good for happiness?
- Lavender oil: There seems to be no end to the benefits of lavender essential oil, especially where mental health is concerned. A study in 2012 found that lavender oil was able to ease symptoms of postpartum depression in new mothers, and a study in 2013 suggested that it can also improve symptoms of generalised anxiety disorder. Generally calming and reassuring, lavender can lift low spirits and leave us happy and comfortable. Learn more about the benefits of lavender essential oil.
- Clary sage oil: Another oil known for its positive impact on mental health, clary sage essential oil is generally considered a reassuring oil. A study in 2014 found that it was able to improve thyroid hormone levels and consequently decreased feelings of depression, and it has long been used as a stress-reliever. Learn more about the benefits of clary sage essential oil.
What other essential oils are good for lifting the mood?
- Petitgrain oil: Joyful petitgrain essential oil has long-held associations with bravery and self-confidence. Many find that the citrusy oil is useful for promoting feelings of comfort and reducing nerves, leaving us happy and content. Learn more about the benefits of petitgrain essential oil.
- Thyme oil: Thyme essential oil is often used to help treat restlessness and unease. This is at least partly due to the fact that thyme oil is a known hormone regulator, so can reduce negative feelings caused by a hormone imbalance. For this reason, some people diffuse thyme oil to help reduce the risk of panic attacks. Learn more about the benefits of thyme essential oil.
Happiness is highly subjective, and whilst a certain oil may work well to boost the mood of some people, others may have different favourites.
It takes experimentation to figure out what combinations are right for you.
If you’re not sure where to start, you might want to try our Positivity Essential Oil Blend.