Spring represents renewal, and Easter especially is a time that we remind ourselves of this.
This Easter, try switching up your table decorations with these homemade candles.
Scented with lemongrass, spearmint and tangerine essential oils, these easy-to-make candles will help you to feel refreshed, inspired, and ready for spring.
How to make lemongrass, spearmint and tangerine candles
- 160g soy wax flakes (or twice the capacity of your container)
- 11 drops of Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 11 drops of Spearmint Essential Oil
- 8 drops of Tangerine Essential Oil
- Candle wicks
- Glue dots
- Glass container for the candle (make sure this is heat proof and suitable for the heat of a burning candle)
This is a very rough guide, as these quantities should vary dependent on the size of candle that you plan to make and the blend that smells best to you.
We would recommend adding between 30-35 drops of essential oil in total, so if you decide to adjust the amount of an oil – or remove it altogether – then make sure that you account for it in your other measurements.
All tastes are different, so if you prefer to use fragrance oils in your candles then you can substitute out one or any of these essential oils.
- Add a glue dot to the underside of the metal circle at the end of your candle wick, then press that circle to the bottom of your candle container. Hold for a few seconds to make sure that it is stuck down neatly.
- Measure out the amount of wax you will need by filling your candle container as high as you would like it, and then repeating the process. The wax will halve in volume when melted, so you will need enough wax flakes to fill your container twice.
- Place a pan of simmering water over the stove. Pour your soy wax into a heatproof glass bowl, and then place it in the pan. Let the wax melt before removing it from the stove.
- Set aside the wax to cool for a minute or so, but ensure that in this time it remains in a liquid state.
- Add your oils and mix them into the wax.
- Carefully pour the wax mixture into your chosen container. Ensure that the wick stands straight and remains upright as you do this.
- Let the candles set for 24 hours, ensuring the wick stands straight for the entire time.
- Snip the wick to the length you want, and light to enjoy!