Share this post
Brighten up your living room with this festive diffuser and decoration.
If you're trying to create the perfect Christmas for your family, gearing up to host the in-laws, or just celebrating with some fun Christmas DIYs, then making potpourri should definitely be on your to-do list.
As DIYs go, potpourri is one of the simplest, and gives you complete creative control - you can swap out any of the decorations to create a bowl that represents what Christmas means to you.
A couple of drops of essential oil allows this festive centrepiece to double as a diffuser, filling your living room with your favourite Christmas scents.
- One large orange
- 2-3 small fir/evergreen branches
- A handful of cinnamon sticks
- A handful of small pinecones
- 1-2 drops of Fir Needle Essential Oil
- 1-2 drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 1-2 drops of Cinnamon (Bark) Essential Oil
You will also need:
- A mason jar, clear vase, or glass bowl
- Optional festive decorations such as mini baubles, berries, or tinsel strands.
- Slice the orange thinly and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven at 120 degrees Celsius for 4-6 hours, or until the orange slices are dry to the touch but not singed or crispy.
- Take the slices out to cool and add a couple of drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil to the tray.
- Cut the branches into smaller sections to make them easier to work with. The size you cut them too should depend on the container in which you are going to arrange your potpourri.
- Add the branches to your container and then arrange the other ingredients around them. You can even add some mini baubles or other decorations for a festive touch.
- Add 1-2 drops of Fir Needle Essential Oil and 1-2 drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil. You can also add an extra drop of Sweet Orange Essential Oil if you feel it is needed.
- Place in a prominent position in the room, and top up with essential oils as needed throughout the Christmas period.