Citronella Essential Oil
Citronella oil is more versatile than many people realise, historically known for its insect-repellent qualities.
Citronella as an insect repellent
Pure citronella oil is most famous as a mosquito repellent and can be incredibly effective at keeping pests away from your home.
Citronella oil for cleaning
The oil’s lesser-known properties are its strong cleaning abilities, which can be used in home cleaning sprays and natural shampoos to protect from dandruff.
Citronella oil is also an anti-inflammatory that can soothe sore muscles and relieve cramps as well as reduce anxiety and stress.
You can learn more about citronella essential oil over on our blog.
Botanical Name: Cymbopogon Nardus
What is citronella essential oil good for?
Citronella oil is known for several beneficial uses. Most notably, it's used as a natural insect repellent, deterring mosquitoes and other pests.
In aromatherapy, the oil's strong, fresh aroma is used to uplift mood and reduce feelings of stress. When diluted with a carrier oil, citronella can be applied to the skin to help combat minor infections due to its antiseptic properties.
It's also used in homemade cleaning products for its sanitising abilities.
What's the best way to use citronella oil?
Citronella can be used to make homemade bug sprays as well as in diffusers to prevent insects from entering your home. It can also be combined with a carrier oil for use in a massage, or for application to the skin and hair.
What does citronella essential oil smell like?
Citronella essential oil has a tangy, citrusy aroma with overtones of grass and faintly crisp, floral notes.
What blends well with citronella essential oil?
What is citronella oil?
Citronella oil is a plant-based essential oil, extracted via steam distillation from the stems and leaves of the Cymbopogon (citronella) plant.
Does citronella essential oil repel mosquitos?
Yes, citronella essential oil is widely recognized as a natural mosquito repellent. Its strong, distinctive aroma can help mask the scents that attract mosquitoes, making it harder for them to locate their targets.
It's often used in outdoor candles, sprays, and diffusers for this purpose. However, its effectiveness can vary based on many factors including concentration and frequency of application.
While citronella can deter mosquitoes, it doesn't kill them, and it may not be as effective as synthetic repellents in areas with high mosquito activity.
Always follow safety guidelines when using essential oils.
Is citronella essential oil safe for dogs?
Citronella is generally safe for dogs, but it should be used with caution. While often used in pet products like flea collars and sprays due to its insect-repelling properties, some dogs may have a sensitivity or allergic reaction to it.
Never apply pure citronella oil directly to your dog's skin or let them ingest it, as it can cause irritation.
Also, avoid using it near your dog's face or in high concentrations.
If you're considering using a product with citronella on your dog, it's best to consult with a veterinarian first.
Our 100% Pure Citronella Essential Oil has a faintly yellow colour and a tangy, citrusy smell that arrests the senses and wakes up the mind.
This oil is extracted from the citronella grass plant found in Sri Lanka.
- Aromatherapy: Combine 5-7 drops of the oil with water and add to an oil burner. Alternatively, place 5-7 drops in a diffuser.
- Massage: Dilute 5 drops to 10ml of carrier oil and massage into skin.
- Bath: Add 6-8 drops to warm bathwater.
- Skincare: Add a couple of drops to a carrier oil or your chosen lotion.
- Soap: Suitable for soapmaking. We recommend following a tested recipe.
- Candles: Suitable for candles. We recommend following a tested recipe.
- Potpourri: Add a few drops to potpourri creations to enhance scent.
- FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY
- Do not apply undiluted to skin.
- Avoid use during pregnancy.
- Keep away from children.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Please perform a patch test before use.
- Keep away from eyes.
This natural product cannot be guaranteed free from traces of nuts or other allergens. Due to the nature of this product, there may be variances in colour and scent between batches. We are constantly improving our products and so, on occasion, the product you receive may differ slightly in appearance from images displayed on our website.
The above information is provided in good faith and the given benefits of this essential oil are obtained from characteristics with which it is commonly associated. This information is not based on facts and the benefits of the product may vary between individuals. If unsure, then we advise you to seek professional advice.
- Bottled in the UK.
- Aromatherapy Trade Council Member.
- 100% Pure Natural Essential Oils.
- Ethically Sourced and not tested on animals. Vegan friendly.
- Supplied in quality Amber Glass Bottle, Tamper Evident Lid & Dropper.
- Expiry Date & Batch Codes on labels.
Hobbyist or candle connoisseur? We offer high-quality essential and fragrance oils for businesses of all sizes. Sign up today to check out our business prices.
Free first class UK delivery on orders over £25 (1-3 business days).
Orders over £50 will be sent using DPD Express (1-3 business days).
We will send you tracking information after we have shipped your order. If you have any questions or concerns about your order please contact email@example.com
- CGChris G.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars4 months agoStrong scent
Works very well in our 8 % wooden wick candle. Very pleased.
- FCfrancess C.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars3 weeks agosmells devine
Bugs and flies can't stand it. the best in the market and not over powering.
- KMkay m.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars1 month agoGood value
Lovely nice and strong scents worth every penny
- CUChris U.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars1 month agoLovely aromas and keeps the bugs away!
Thd price is impressive less than 1/4 of similar essential oils seen in local shops.
Easybto use and only 5 or 6 drops needed, the 100ml bottle purchased will last all Sumber, and next Summer too!
Purchase was quick, delivery was efficient and ringtone on time as stated, so a good job all round.
Well done NIKURA, we've already used you again for an oil diffuser and ours for Granddughters 18th. She was well impressed also.
- ECEd Caroline C.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars3 months agoGreat repellent
Great mixer to other oils to keep mozzies at bay
You might also like to read
How to use Citronella Oil
Citronella oil is typically used as a natural insect repellent. For this purpose, you can dilute it in a carrier oil or water and spray it around your outdoor spaces. In a diffuser, its strong, uplifting aroma can help freshen your environment.
When properly diluted, it can be applied topically as part of a homemade insect repellent or skincare product. Always conduct a patch test first to check for any skin reactions. For cleaning applications, mix with water and use as a spray.
Benefits of Citronella Essential Oil
Citronella oil is recognized for several benefits. As a natural insect repellent, it's often used to deter mosquitoes and other pests.
Its fresh, uplifting aroma can help reduce feelings of stress when used in aromatherapy.
Diluted properly, it can be applied to the skin to help fight minor infections due to its antiseptic properties.
In homemade cleaning products, it serves as a sanitiser and deodorizer.
How to repel mosquitoes with Citronella Oil
Citronella oil is a widely used natural mosquito repellent. Here's a method to use it:
- Dilute citronella oil in a carrier oil or water at a ratio of roughly 10-20 drops per 30ml. Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines.
- Transfer the diluted mixture into a spray bottle.
- Spray it around your garden or patio, particularly during dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active. It can also be applied lightly to exposed skin, avoiding the face and eyes.
Alternatively, add a few drops to an outdoor candle or diffuser.
Remember, citronella can deter mosquitoes but it doesn't kill them. Its efficacy varies and it may not compete with synthetic repellents in areas with high mosquito activity.