Candles have long been a staple of romance.
These beautiful Valentine’s Day candles combine three calming scents that can lend an intimate atmosphere to a dinner date or help you spend a relaxing evening together. Stress-relieving lavender frees you of your worries, whilst cosy sandalwood keeps you centred. The sweet floral scent of ylang ylang has long been considered an aphrodisiac and completes this romantic trio.
- 160g soy wax flakes (or twice the capacity of your container)
- Lavender 40/42 Essential Oil: 11 drops
- Sandalwood Fragrance Oil: 11 drops
- Ylang Ylang (Complete) Essential Oil: 8 drops
This is a very rough guide, as these quantities should vary dependent on the size of candle that you plan to make and the blend that smells best to you. We would recommend adding between 30-35 drops of essential oil in total, so if you decide to adjust the amount of an oil – or remove it altogether – then make sure that you account for it in your other measurements.
You may notice that this recipe uses a mix of essential oils and fragrance oils. Lavender and ylang ylang essential oil can have wonderful natural benefits when inhaled that can enhance your date night.
The sandalwood oil that we recommend does not come with these natural benefits, however, because it is a synthetic fragrance oil. What it does have is a consistent woody scent that offers reliable support to the two natural products. All three of these oils works beautifully in harmony with each other to give our favourite version of the scent.
You will also need:
- Candle wicks
- Glue dots
- Add a glue dot to the underside of the metal circle at the end of your candle wick, then press that circle to the bottom of your candle container. Hold for a few seconds to make sure that it is stuck down neatly.
- Measure out the amount of wax you will need by filling your candle container as high as you would like it, and then repeating the process. The wax will halve in volume when melted, so you will need enough wax flakes to fill your container twice.
- Place a pan of simmering water over the stove. Pour your soy wax into a glass bowl, and then place it in the pan. Let the wax melt before removing it from the stove.
- Set aside the wax to cool for a minute or so, but ensure that in this time it remains in a liquid state.
- Add your oils and mix them into the wax.
- Carefully pour the wax mixture into your chosen container. Ensure that the wick stands straight and remains upright as you do this.
- Let the candles set for 24 hours, ensuring the wick stands straight for the entire time.
- Snip the wick to the length you want, and light to enjoy!
Shop our essential oil range here.