The benefits of the oil for skin are well known, and now a growing number of people are discovering the many ways you can use vitamin E for hair.
Many leading brands include it as standard in their cosmetic products, as it can help to maintain youthful looks and provide a powerful protective barrier against pollutants.
Whether you are looking for a natural method of reducing hair loss, boosting shine or improving scalp health, we look at the benefits of using vitamin E oil for hair to see how it may be able to help.
Is vitamin E oil good for hair?
Vitamin E may be able to support scalp health due to its antioxidant properties, helping to form a protective barrier against oxidative stress damage. It is also thought to increase the size of hair follicles, which can boost growth in the long term. Scientific research into the subject is mixed, with some studies providing positive results, whilst others have not been able to provide clear enough evidence of how the vitamin can improve scalp and hair health.
What are some Vitamin E oil benefits for hair?
Some of the benefits vitamin E oil may be able to provide your hair include:
- Prevent hair loss: Some researchers have provided results that suggest vitamin E may be useful in preventing hair loss. For example, one study found that when compared to a placebo, one of the components of vitamin E managed to improve growth. Research continues in this area, with more insight needed to determine how important vitamin E is when it comes to minimising hair loss.
- Better scalp health: The natural antioxidant properties of vitamin E may enable It to support a healthy scalp. Research identified that it could help to reduce the number of free radicals and oxidative stress that are responsible for the breakdown of hair follicle cells. It could provide a natural therapeutic remedy to strengthen internal and external protection against toxic stimuli and improve the condition of the skin.
- Increased hair shine: When styling your hair, it is exposed to a variety of chemicals, products and heat levels that can have a negative effect, and many people believe that continued use of vitamin E can regenerate shine that is lost because of hair damage. Whether applying vitamin E oil directly to your hair or through a cosmetic product that contains the vitamin, it can help to restore shine and provide an extra layer of protection.
- Balance oil production: When applied to the skin, vitamin E helps to build a protective barrier, which also locks in moisture. Anyone experiencing dry or irritated skin may be deficient in vitamin E, as these are signs that levels may be low in the body. Research remains inconclusive about the topical application of vitamin E and the balancing of oil production, but the likes of avocado oil – which also contains the vitamin – may prove useful in moisturising the scalp.
- Boost scalp circulation: High doses of vitamin E may be able to increase blood flow to the eyes, as results indicated when people with type 1 diabetes took part in a small study. A different study found that an increased blood supply helped to boost hair growth and improve the hair follicle and size in mice. Research is ongoing regarding how vitamin E affects blood supply to the scalp, as more evidence is required to verify these findings.
How to use vitamin E oil for hair
Vitamin E carrier oil is safe for topical use, and you do not need to dilute it before applying it to your hair or skin. To use vitamin E oil for hair, follow the steps below:
- Use a small amount of the oil to massage it into your scalp.
- Comb through your hair using a wide-tooth comb.
- Allow the oil to rest and absorb into your hair for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash the oil out of your hair using your regular shampoo.
If you typically use a conditioner, you may be able to skip this part if your hair is feeling moisturised after washing out the vitamin E.
Other ways to use vitamin E oil for hair
There are a few other methods you can try to ensure your hair benefits from vitamin E:
- Add to a shampoo or conditioner to boost shine: If your hair care products do not contain vitamin E, you can simply add a few drops of the oil to your shampoo or conditioner. Do this every other day, and it could help to improve shine thanks to its hydration boosting properties.
- Use to detangle curly or fine hair: Vitamin E can work as a natural detangler for naturally curly or fine hair if applied before stepping into the shower. This is due to the moisturising properties found in the oil, which can simplify the detangling process before using a shampoo or conditioner.
- Try as a leave-in treatment: Another method could be to add 3-5 drops of vitamin oil to your hair, massaging it into the scalp as soon as you have dried off after a shower. This works as a leave-in treatment that can benefit your scalp and hair. For anyone with no scalp sensitivities, this can be a routine to follow every other day.
- Eat vitamin E oil-rich foods and supplements: You can also increase the amount of vitamin E oil-rich foods that are in your diet, with the likes of nuts, seeds and leafy greens all providing a healthy amount. Not only can it help your hair, but enjoying a more balanced diet will promote your overall health and nutrition.
Regular use of vitamin E oil for hair can give you a powerful natural application that doesn’t require you to pay a fortune for the latest hair care product. Whether you want to change up your diet and/or start including the oil in your daily hair care routine, there are lots of potential benefits it can offer. If you have an existing hair, skin or scalp condition, speak with your doctor, who will be able to determine whether using vitamin E oil is suitable for you.